Saturday, April 3, 2010

Clue - サイ

In the midst of studying for 一級 (and needing a break while convincing myself I'm still studying), I present my first template in months!

Clue


"It was Colonel Mustard in the Study with the... サイ?

dainty

Ivette, The maid.

tailor

The maid's outfit.......

wife

Wife to many unfortunate men, more of a black widow of sorts... Mrs. White is.

pick up

Prof. Plumb (C. Loyd) picking up Ms. Scarlett, cuz her car broke down

sponsor

Mr. Body sponsors this event by providing the weapons!

coloring

hmm... err... the coloring of all the dresses all stand out quite a bit? =/

load

The cook's body.

bond

さい with this kanji can mean a "debt." Which everyone owed Mr. Body

smash

"I'm sorry, I'm a bit... accident prone" - Mr. Green *smash*

property

"Husbands should be like clean-ex, soft, strong and disposable" - Mrs. White

disaster

"The only way to avoid finding yourselves on the front pages is for one of you to kill Wadsworth.... now." - Mr Body 26:34

again

"Mr. Body, dead, again!" - Wadsworth

cut

The cook....stabbed!

purification

destroying the evidence (tapes burned, evidence tampered with, etc.)

superintend

If anybody's superintending THIS party, it's Wadsworth.

year-end

year-end... life-end?

finish

"That's how it could have happened..."


ritual


occasion


kill


vegetable


genius


utmost


west
西


plantation

Nothing doing here. I recommend rote learning 栽培 (さいばい)


RTK3:

grab

my apologies to any lady readers but.... it happens to the maid quite a bit.

brushwood

Brushwood...matchsticks...drawing lots for partners.

fort

The mansion, like an impenetrable fort(ress) after the guests have unwittingly entered.

rhinoceros


memorial

Lets hold a nice memorial for the "singing telegram" lady (had to slip her in here somewhere, classic scene)

my son

lots of references to procreation, but no children in this movie. =(

bleaching

a way to dispose of the bodies?

i wonder

I wonder who really did it! REALLY.

notes: first of the year. Another fun and nostalgic movie. And a lot of さい I knew incidentally from vocab. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Good job. Also, are you starting to realize that the primitives clump together to make "super images" which tend to repeat? I like to think of memorizing all the primitives as just a grass roots approach to what Heisig does.

    -Alyks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyks-

    There are most definitely trends, although they are something to be wary of. I won't go to the trouble of digging up an example but while there may be 3 or 4 kanji which similar "primitives" that share a reading, there may just as well be 3 or 4 with completely arbitrary readings. The key I think is to seek out the patterns but not become over-reliant on them. A good mesh of this method plus a ton of rote memorization of kanji compounds is gradually increasing my reading ability. Slow and steady, all that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! My name is Arthur and I've gotten through RTK1 using the kanjikoohii site and ANKI. I've got the RTK2 book and plan to use it for reference but am really interested in the Movie Method. Could you please explain a little about how you your have your ANKI deck set up? One person on the kanjikoohii site suggested the format of Q: reading written in katakana A: story containing all the kanji keywords for that reading. For this format, it seems like a separate ANKI deck of about 307 cards would be the way to go. Is this anything like what you are doing? I really appreciate hearing about your experience and opinion on this.
    Thanks! Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the typing mistakes on the questions I just posted (you your).It's late and I've been here in Japan for a while now. I meant to say " I WOULD really appreciate hearing about your experience and opinion on this".

    Thanks again! Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arthur-

    It IS really late here in Japan, isn't it? I'll try my best to knock out a coherent response. ;)

    Your idea sounds quite interesting. Actually I'm not using any formal review method - I merely make the template for reference! If it sticks it sticks, if it doesn't it doesn't. Often times when I'm having trouble remembering an onyomi in the context of vocabulary, and if it happens to be from an onyomi group I've done a movie template for, I'll review my "story" to help solidify it. That's all, just reference. Helps tremendously with ubiquitous readings like しょう and き for sure!

    All this or your method or kanji town or even rtk are really doing is giving your brain a sense of order amongst the chaos. Some reason to see the kanji and think "ah, yes, THIS is pronounced けい, and of COURSE it means diameter." How you do it is up to you, and I'm always interested in hearing about new and alternative methods.

    btw, as for anki decks, I have two: RTK1+3 and a 3000+ vocab deck I built from scratch full of JLPT 2 and 1 vocabulary. Such a heavy but useful load.

    Happy studying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjamin,

    Thanks very much for your candid response. It makes sense that for the ubiquitous readings like しょう・き that you couldn't expect to get 100% on every review with 60+ kanji/keywords in one movie. But it's worth giving it a shot. If it speeds up the onyomi remembering process then it's good! My first step is to work on the movie method then I'll try to work on a vocab deck like yours and, eventually, get to sentence mining for the RTK1+3 deck to do reverse reviews from kanji to reading. I'll let you know how my movies turn out. Thanks again and happy studying to you too!

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete