Friday, July 3, 2009

Ghostbusters キ


キ 53 characters.

"I am the キmaster... are you the gatekeeper?"

how many
幾

How many ghosts are there in this movie? How many people get marshmellowed?

strange
奇

Egon is the epitome of strange.
Venkman: "This reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head"
Egon: "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me."

draw near
寄

As slimer draws near, Venkman really should have moved. Eww!

equestrian
騎

I thought there was nothing remotely equestrian (related to horse riding) in this movie, but one scene with Rick Moranis talking to a horse comes close!

mechanism
機

The traps, the zappers, this movie is loaded with awesome mechanisms.

spirit
気

I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!....or spirit!

vapor
汽

"At noon, 10 people witnessed a free floating full torso vaporous apparition!" - Ray, about the library ghost. Or you can think of vapor as dry ice, one of the most overused special effect of the 80s, and this movie is no exception.

desk
机

Venkman giving the poor guy with the fro electric shocks from across the wooden desk. or the secretary's desk in the GBs HQ.

hungry
飢

Slimer is always hungry!

previously
既

The GBs get kicked out of their previous college facilities. So, they take a previously run-down firehouse and turn it into HQ!

hope
希

Sygounrney Weaver hopes that the ghostbusters can help her!

standard
規

The GB's set the standard for "paranormal elimination" in NYC

dangerous
危

Don't cross the streams! It's too dangerous!!!

scribe
記

Janine Melnintz, the secretary, is a memorable scribe. I think of that scene where Egon pops out from under her desk. *AHEM*

self
己

Ray: "We really haven't had a successful test of this equipment
Egon: "I blame myself."
Venkman: "So do I."

rouse
起

The scene where Ray is roused from his sleep by a female ghost undoing his belt... I don't seem to remember that from when I was a kid, hmm...

chronicle
紀

Chronicle sounds like the name of a newspaper, so, the various newpaper headlines involving GBs that pop up during the montage.

mourning
忌

When Bill Murray thinks his girlfriend his dead (And doesn't know she is alive inside a crumbling shell of a statue)

national flag
旗

I imagine the national flag of zuul looks something like this.

chess piece
棋

Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis play characters who are used like chess pieces: the keymaster and the gatekeeper.

fundamentals
基

The fundamentals of ghostbusting: aim steady, set the trap and don't cross the streams!

period
期
Both Moranis and Weaver's characters (keymaster and gatekeeper) are possessed for a period of time in this movie.

branch off
岐

Venkman's expertise branches off into many fields, but mostly ghostbusting and lady killing.

brandish
揮

The GB's brandishing their badass zappers.

radiance
輝

This could reference many of the paranormal scenes of the movie... when Sigourney Weaver's characters sees the radiant light behind her door.

abandon
棄

The GBs are forced to abandon operations when they get arrested!

seasons
季

This kanji reminds of me of changes in weather, so I think of the dark clouds, storms and all around hell-breaking-loose weather that comes when Zuul is in season.

undertake
企

The GB's undertaking their first case, in the hotel.

homecoming
帰

The end of the movie.

precious
貴

Dr. Venkman, in the beginning of the movie, is loathe to collect the precious ectoplasm. "Somebody blows their nose and you wanna keep it?"

rut
軌

The GBs are in a "rut" when they are overloaded with work.

rejoice
喜

All of NYC rejoices when the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man is defeated!

utensil
器

utensil... this kanji is also used for weaponry. Hence, the GBs zappers (or protoplasm emitters if you prefer)

ghost
鬼

I ain't afraid of no ghost!

tortoise
亀

It just doesn't fit the flick, so, I imagine some kind of funky tortoise ghost, maybe Slimer's 2nd cousin twice removed...

pray
祈

when the catholic priest shows up in the mayor's office! "I'm not gonna call a press conference and tell everyone to start praying."


**RTK3**

break 毀
overjoyed 嬉
hollyhock 葵
glitter 暉
zelkova 槻
rocky beach 磯
sparse 稀
peep 稀
winnowing fan 箕
ornate 綺
kneel 跪
tuna 鮪
fish fin 鰭
giraffe 麒
capital suburbs 畿
stalwart 毅
cheer 煕

--


Notes: As you may have already noticed, I've added lists of kanji from Remember the Kanji 3 (an expansion of the first book with another 1000 characters) that match my on-yomi groups. My plan is to go back and make stories for them, most likely next year after I've learned them sufficiently. It will also be a good chance to review my old templates.


Notable, recurring correlations: 己、棋 (right side)、奇。This template is much more random than some previous ones.


This movie is just plain fun. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did, (if not for studying, than for the nostalgia!) I'm a busy man, but I'm trying to generally update once a week. See you next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment